Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sahilah's field trip reflection

The field trip to Army Logistics Base (ALB) 3 weeks ago has definitely helped me a lot to understand better of what had been taught and brought up in e-lectures. The trip had provided me with the reality side of the operations involved in a warehouse as I was able to witness the processes at of different stages/sections.

An example of what I learnt would be the different storage systems that are installed at ALB such as mobile racking, vertical carousel and pallet racking. As ALB practices a through-flow, this facilitates movement of goods within the warehouse and ensures everything is in orderly manner. I was attracted to the way things work within the warehouse especially vertical carousel. It really shows how much technology is much of advance now.

Besides the storage systems, safety is greatly taken into high level of importance in a warehouse as our guide really stresses on this matter. Working in a warehouse can be a very risky job unless you follow the procedures properly.

Overall, it was a helpful and meaningful trip for me, and I’m sure my course mates felt the same too!

By Sahilah

No comments: